Accepting Digital Submissions
January 16 - February 18, 2022 by 11:50 p.m. (EST)
The Gaylord area Council for the Arts (Gaylord Arts) invites Michigan photographers to enter the 2023 Juried Photography Exhibit. Digital entries are due by February 18, 2023. Awards will be given in two categories, as well as “People’s Choice”. An Opening Reception & Awards Ceremony will be held on April 15th, from 5-7 pm. The accepted entries will be on display at the Gaylord Arts Center from April 3rd - May 20th.
Awards Given In Two Categories:
About the Juror:
Joe Clark, American landscape photographer.
Joe Clark is a fine art scenery and still life photographer currently based in Petoskey, Michigan. Joe was born in Ludington Michigan and developed a passion for photography inspired by another local photographer Todd Reed. After attending high school and college Joe started to study the works and methodology of Ansel Adams primarily though his authored texts and works. Utilizing the mindset of Adam’s concept of being a technician first and an artist second Joe stared building the Photographic Library of work which now exists. Exploration of the natural world in Michigan around the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and the Petoskey area have been providing a wealth of photographic opportunity best described as “Capturing the familiar world in a new way”. To achieve a measurably better print and to get the best results possible Joe has created his own printing processes which later became available to the public. Each piece produced by Joe is crafted in his Print Studio located inside of The Gallery. All artwork created by Joe is only available through The Gallery in Downtown Petoskey, and at times at select other locations. Joe intends to achieve his goals of documenting the natural world in new ways and to explore the other natural wonders of the American landscape and beyond in pursuit of improving and diversifying his Photographic Library.
Michigan photographers 14 years old and older and seasonal residents may enter. All entries must be original works of the artist’s own creation. Works exhibited in previous Gaylord Arts juried shows will not be accepted. Entries will be accepted in these two categories:
- Traditional Photography: Images taken by the photographer relying on any photographic process. Post-processing of any type allowed. If selected for the show, you will be required to submit a physical piece to exhibit in the gallery. All photographs in the image must have been taken by the artist.
- Mobile Phone Photography: Any art work that has been captured using a mobile phone device only. All Post photographic processing must have been done on the mobile phone device. If selected for the show, you will not be required to submit a physical piece. Your work will be displayed digitally only. All photographs in the image must have been taken by the artist.
- Up to 3 images (total) may be submitted.
- Submissions must be in the categories of Traditional or Mobile Phone Photography (i.e. 2 in "Traditional", 1 in
"Mobile Phone" or other combinations).
- Images must be in jpg or png format. and digital Image size limited to approximately 1200 x 1800 pixels.
- Name image files as follows: lastname_firstname_title_category of entry
- Upload digital images with submission form (see below for instructions) no later then Feb 18th at 11:50 p.m.
- Complete form, attach digital images to form, and submit entree fee no later then Feb 18th at 11:50 p.m.
- Entry fee: $25 for Gaylord Arts members, $35 for non-members.
- Photographers will be notified by email regarding acceptance of images by March 3, 2023.
- Accepted entries in the Traditional Category must be framed, wired and ready to hang (No sawtooth hangars) and delivered to the Gaylord Arts Gallery from March 29th to April 1st during regular business hours.
- Clearly print on the back of each accepted piece: Photographer’s name, title of work and selling price. If not for sale—”For Exhibit Only”.
- Pick up unsold photos May 25th - 28th. Photos not retrieved within 30 days become the property of Gaylord Arts, unless arrangements are made.
Gaylord Arts will retain a 30% commission on works sold during the exhibit. The sales price includes any matting and framing. All accepted entries will be featured at: www.gaylordarts.org. , however, Mobile phone photography entries are not eligible for sale.
PLEASE NOTE: AFTER CLICKING ON "SUBMIT" AND BEFORE CLOSING YOUR BROWSER, PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE CONFIRMATION SUBMISSION MESSAGE ON YOUR SCREEN. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION AND LEAVE THE FORM, YOUR FORM WILL NOT BE SAVED OR SUBMITTED AND YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO RESUBMIT A NEW FORM.